border

border

Thursday, November 17, 2011

He's not yet two...this sweet boy who watches my face for every nuance of change.

"Grandma, keep an eye on him because he pounds the marker pens and ruins them."   His older sister had warned me.

And there he was--pounding and looking at me with a question in his eyes.

"No Roman, let's draw with the pen,"


So we drew--he the short squiggles and me a butterfly...

And then he pounded, carefully watching my face. 

"Roman, pens are for coloring, not for pounding." (parenting 101--say it in the positive).

This time he didn't color--just watched me. "Roman--should I color the wings with green and orange?" (parenting 101 take 2: try distraction)

"Yeah." So I color and he watches and...

...pounds the pen.


Gently, I take it from him, "Roman no more pen--remember we said no pounding."

I wasn't prepared--not for the rush of tears, the hiccuping sobs, the running away to his sister for comfort.

An hour later his mom came home and when she asked him if he'd had fun with grandma, he acted out pounding the pen, letting her know of the incident.

"He watches faces." she told me. "Every nuance of change, he notices, just very sensitive, feelings easily hurt."

Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to the LORD our God...

Today in the quiet...sitting with my heavenly Father...I wonder what it feels like to live with that awareness.

To watch and wait and seek the face of God...to let discipline move me that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment