border

border

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thanks for Holding Me Accountable

For the last few days I've wanted to post some thoughts here but knew I needed to get my Haiti giving established first since I wrote about it here.  I realized this blog, whether anyone reads it or not, will be a great help in keeping me accountable to live intentionallly.  For that I'm grateful (I think)!  So we decided to give to our own denomination's mission board, largely because all the money goes directly to Haiti, and there are missionaries on the ground there  to distribute it who know the people and the needs.  If you're looking for a place to give, click here.

I was talking with a friend on Sunday who mentioned that at the end of the day on Saturday she really couldn't account for how she spent her time.  I know the feeling.  What does it take to be more intentional about our time?  What it DOESN'T MEAN is evaluating our day by how much meaningful stuff we accomplished.  That is a sure fire way to turn this challenge into a duty and take away all the fun.  Instead, it means pressing into the other two parts of the challenge first -- delighting in the Lord and dialoguing with Him throughout the day.  The questions therefore, that I am trying to ask each day are: Lord, in what ways did we communicate today?  Was I listening?  Were You speaking?  Were we enjoying communion?  After those questions, I can ask -- and did I do the things You impressed me to do?

The point is that if we're not living intentionally, the first course correction is to be more intentional about intimacy with Him.  That's how we keep from getting the cart before the horse, so to speak.  Make sense?  and for the record, I worked on REALLY MEANINGFUL stuff all day yesterday, and yet realized this morning that I'm not sure how much I dialogued with the Lord.  Hope to do better today.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I loved this entry and have written out the questions and taped them to my kitchen cupboard so I can see them all day long. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete